Monday, September 13, 2010

Toddler Time! Spanish - There has to be something better

As part of my work to make my Kindergartner fully bilingual I downloaded a bunch of apps aimed at teaching spanish.  Toddler Time was one of the higher ranked apps in the store so I dove in head first and paid the $1.99.

I can't say i was impressed with most of the spanish language education apps aimed at young kids.  Toddler Time functionality was fine.  The app is geared at some simple vocabulary related to colors, numbers, shapes, and animals.  Without headphones I found the sound hard to hear.  My daughter Wormie liked scrolling through the different shapes but there wasn't anything to prompt her to repeat or get involved other than whipping through each screen.

Another issue I had with the functionality was that the primary vocabulary word had two different call out points.  If you clicked on a work like "Azul" which means blue, a voice would say the word.  If you clicked on the picture of a blue ballon on the page it would read off  a translation of the picture ie."globo azul. "  It didn't resonate with me and my daughter was completely missing both the key word and the noun it was describing.

I will add in another odd behavior.  On the menu page there are some characters you can choose to follow you and jump onto pages through the app when you press the screen in non-vocabulary word areas.  This seemed completely gratuitous as these characters did not add a thing to the experience.

I wasn't super happy with the quality of the app as i felt the art was second rate, and the education component was lacking.  Overall not happy with the $1.99 i spent.

Age Range: 3-5
Difficulty: 3/5 (5 being easy)
Look & Feel : 1/5 (5 being cool)
Parent Helper: 2/5 (5 being helpful)
Price $1.99

No comments:

Post a Comment