Friday, September 11, 2009

Dora The Explorer: I get int on the iPhone so i don't have to watch it in real life!


This isn't necessarily iPhone specific, in face I originally downloaded Dora for my iPod but the larger has given Dora episodes i downloaded a year ago new live. My girl (going on 4.5 years old) does not get to watch cable at our house because we believe in the good old hippie way of life. Wool socks, sweatty homemade peanut butter, and no cable. I lie, we skipped getting cable after moving to Califorina because we found that Netflix did a better job of getting us timely TV episodes, and enabled us to truly feed our addictive tendencies by watching a whole season of 24 in two nights. The by product has been our kids don't get access to a lot of the normal shows. This has an upside... my daughter can sit through a two hour movie because thats all she ever watched (for some reason we had a lot of Disney/Sudio Gibli DVDs) and that when we do get 20 minute cartoons she watches them like they are Child Approved Narcotic.

My first experiment was downloading Dora the Explorer. We were going to Canada for several weeks and I wanted to get a some shows for the plane ride. I ended up downloading Season 1,2, & 3 of Dora to keep the kid occupied. I would say from a value perspective i got at least 3-4 viewings per episode making the $1.99 or 19$ per season worth my while. My daughter liked it for a solid 3-4 months before nixing Dora all together. I even occassionaly would let her watch it on the Mac at home...which actually is not preferable to the iPhone. On the iPhone i don't have to listen to the repetitive and interactive components like when Dora repeats the mission objectives with her sly hypnotic chanting.... "Bridge, Chocolate Mountain, Ice Castle!" in an attempt to brain wash my girl. I don't mind the brain washing Dora... i just don't want to hear it. I reccomend whole seasons of Dora...the shows go by quick and the kids get engaged. If I'm lucky my daugther will be fully bilingual by the time season 10 roles around.

Age Range: 3-5
Difficulty: 1/5
Look & Feel :4/5
Parent Helper: 4/5

Prices
Per Episode
Season 1
Season 2
Season 3

No comments:

Post a Comment