Thursday, September 10, 2009

Scoops: The first iPhone ap I downloaded for my toddler


I was telling a friend of mine about this great iPhone application i had for my kid. He told me in a not so subtle way that it was a stupid idea, and that he just had his kids play with "Scoops." (I'm still working on my genius idea and will let you know when i get it going but until then i have to content myself with what ever i can jerry-rig for my 4.5 year old.) My friend, Chris, who i think is going through a "downer" period described the functionality that his two daughters liked and it did sound good for the age i was looking at.

The look of Scoops is perfect for the pre-school set. Its bright, has great colors and the general game play is appropriate. The objective is to get as many scoops of ice cream, and other falling objects onto your cone by tilting your phone. When you tilt your cone veers in the direction you want it to go (left of right) all be it a little fast. The speed of the moving cone was the biggest issue I had with the game as it worked well for me but was a little too "slippery" for my daughter. I think the game would work better for slightly older kids who are not jaded by the loss of Santa Claus or questioning a world in which ice cream scoops are randomly falling from the sky. Overall the game nature seemed to be a little overkill, since what adult, or self respecting teenage is going to want to save their "Scoops" high score.

The biggest drawback was a mail button that could be found after i entered my name in the high score. I had given this game to "The Girl" and she was able to get through all the screens, despite not being of reading age, except for this one. She kept hitting the mail button which is assumedly for "viral marketing" purposes and would end up in my Gmail account trying to send her high score to the CEO of some start up we are working with. That said "The Girl" liked it enough to request it, though i did have to intervene when she would hit the mail to button.

I'd buy it for 5-7 year olds, its okay for slightly younger but functionality requires some parentaly involvement.

Age Range: 5.5-7
Difficulty: 3/5
Look & Feel :4.5/5
Parent Helper: 2.5/5

MojoDomo Review
AppVee Review
Cost: $1.99

Other reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment